The calendar gods have smiled down on us this Cinco de Mayo by scheduling the holiday right on Taco Tuesday! In celebration, we made some tasty shrimp tacos.
Tacos are super easy for a weeknight dinner for two, or the ingredients can be made in batches, so they’re great for larger families or dinner parties. You could even turn it into a little taco bar and guests can choose their own toppings.
Our marinade was a light (and slightly boozy) tequila-honey-lime concoction with onions and spices. We decided on some healthy, colorful veggies for garnishes, such as a red cabbage slaw, avocado cream, and a sprinkling of cilantro.
2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 teaspoons olive oil + 2 more tablespoons
8 – 12 yellow or white corn tortillas
Handful of cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish
2 tablespoons raw honey
Juice of 2 limes
½ cup tequila
1 medium onion, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
Red cabbage slaw:
½ head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice [about 2-3 limes]
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon light, neutral oil, such as grapeseed
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Sea salt to taste
1. Peel, rinse, and dry shrimp. Place on a plate and season with sea salt.
2. In a bowl, mix honey, lime juice, tequila, cumin, chipotle chili powder, and onion to make the marinade.
3. Toss shrimp in marinade and let sit for 30 minutes.
4. While the shrimp are marinating, prepare cabbage slaw. Thinly slice red cabbage.
5. Combine lime juice, dijon mustard, oil, salt, and pepper for the slaw dressing. Whisk vigorously.
6. Toss cabbage in the dressing, and set aside.
7. For the avocado crema, mash two avocados and combine with sour cream, lemon juice, chipotle chili powder and sea salt. Set aside.
8. In a large pan, drizzle 2 teaspoons of olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add shrimp and 2/3 of the marinade and cook for about 5-8 minutes (until they are opaque and orange).
9. For crispy tortillas, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in another pan over high heat. Cook each side of the tortilla, letting it get a little crispy on each side and then fold onto a napkin on a plate (to absorb any excess oil).
10. Chop cilantro for garnish.
11. Assemble your tacos! We chose to put the cabbage slaw in first, then the avocado crema, shrimp, and cilantro.
12. Eat and wash it down with a healthy margarita!
Serves 4-6 people (about 2 tacos per person).
WW PointsPlus = ~4 points per taco*
*Points are approximate and calculated by us!